19.4.12

Working with different kind people- 1



A human being is the most important asset of an organisation. It is the human being who run the machines, equipements, systems, plans, strategies, building relationships, targets and motivate each other for the common goal of the organisation.
It was rather easier when i was working as fresher/apprentice in the initial tenure of my career. But as my experience increased, my responsibility increased and that made me manager. This enabled me to interact with different departments, people in the cross function al team for getting my work done and achieving the target set by the organisation. I realised the need of handling different kind of people in different way for getting results out of them.
Scratching: This is my terminogy. I used to do this for making my paperwork done on time. There were paperwork/documentation that needed to be reviewed by various cross functional heads before arriving at the decision within a stipulated time. There were functional heads missing to review and clear the documents from their side. It was needed repeated follow ups. I used to deliberately ask to them many times if the papers are not signed within the time frame provided. This was making them angry, but they had no other way to clear  and given back to me.
Creating a noise:  If the scratching does not work, it is necessary to create a noise so that  you get the right importance for the job. This is not exactly escalating the matter.  What i used to do is,  talk the same the issue with may heads  and CFT. This was automatically signalling the non co operation to the concerned people and thereby creates awareness and seriousness. I was a key account manager in a manufacturing industry for a customer. If the customers  orders is not deliverying on time and more importantnly the production and operation is not giving you any importance, this is  the technique will yield results. The product that is off important is to be communicated to every body not forgetting to mention why it is not going on time. This will create a lot of seriousness. I also used to send the emails to production team with bold letters and taking the prints of these emails and distributing to concerned heads of CFT.
Communication: I am not going to write about the communication that is explained in the management books here. What i emphasize here is the way of communication to individuals. This is very important for transferring the content with the necessary seriousness.
The head of the despatch section was 50 years old and i was25 just half of his age.  I was not knowing his local langaugae and was not able to understand his methodology in the despatch sections. There were so many products for the customers lying and he was not making the proper arrangements for packing and shipments. I used to give the list of to him customer wise, but that did not work.  I wanted to understand from him  the real reason behind it.  I understood from him that his understanding of job responsibility is different from what i was expecting. He was keeping on packing the products which are lying  the despatch area without making a plan for consolidating the shipment for one particular customer.He was not able to understand my excel sheets. Further more,he was getting confused what to pack if there are products coming to his area are more than 3 or 4. Now i had to change my methodology.  I started giving the list of one customer and informing him the importance  and told him to focus only on the list of one customers product. If there are some products not received, then he has to ask the production department about it so that he can consolidate. And it worked. A change in level of communication  got the results. Had there been a incharge aged 25-30 years, an excess sheet probably would have been enough for him to understand and work.
So at the end, a proper communication that makes clear both the sender and receiver will yield the results.
Temper: Some time  it is necessary to show the angry face  to CFT that you are angry in case the things are not working good and  you are getting non co operation. You are Okay inside. But  show a unhappy face and call a meeting and inform  where the lacunas are there.Talk to point blank and then see the results.
I have more to write  under this title and will write at later.

No comments:

Post a Comment